Thursday, April 19, 2012

Favorite Verse

So its been awhile since my last post.  Sorry for the leave of absence!  Since then, I traveled to Brazil and back.  Serving at the Davis Lar orphanage in Brazil was definitely a great experience.  It was amazing to see children given a second chance in life.  Especially since almost all of them had been rescued from human trafficking and poverty.  The truth that we are ALL children of God is undeniable.  Jesus is the name above ALL names that transcends every difference in language or nation.  A huge thank you goes out to all those who supported me with donations and prayers!  Because of you I was able to fully fund my trip.  Your sacrifices have helped glorify God and his great kingdom.  For further information or pictures, you can add me as a friend on facebook or e-mail me (jomo486@gmail.com).  As for the future of my blog, I would like to start moving towards unpacking some of Gods word.  What better place to start than my favorite verse!

Luke 9:23-27 ESV
23 And he said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. 25 For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? 26 For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. 27 But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God."

Man I love God's word!

Verse 23:  Jesus is saying this to ALL and to ANYONE.  Not just those who grew up in church or those with miserable and broken pasts, not just men or just women, not just rich or just poor, not just the healthy or just the sick...  ANYONE.  Although the Bible does use "his", this is an acceptable term for both sexes in literature.  Nonetheless, we all have the same requirements in running after Jesus.  We must deny ourselves.  We must take up our cross.  We must decrease, God must increase.

Verse 24:  This is potentially my favorite verse in the Bible.  This statement pretty much sums up following Christ in one sentence.

Verse 25:  A rhetorical question from Jesus, yet not so rhetorical to man.  We somehow still seem to think there's something to be gained from THIS world.

Verse 26:  If you claim to follow Christ, I hope it's not best kept a secret.  I'm not going to judge... that's up to God, but I will say that if people don't recognize Christ-like characteristics or tendencies in you... you may be setting the Son of Man up for disappointment.

Verse 27:  Jesus' final remark touches on the difficulty of applying truth.  We are often able to recognize when something is true, but it's the application that is difficult.  Yet it's the application that makes all the difference.  For example, everyone would agree exercise is good for you, but merely accepting this as true does no good.  It's actually getting off the couch, tightening up the shoe laces, and pounding the pavement that makes the difference.  To me, Jesus seems to be saying something similar in verse 27.  Jesus is saying... all of you hear me, most of you agree with me, but only a few of you believe it to the degree of applying it.

In summary, our walk with Christ should be a daily struggle of dying a little bit more and more to ourselves.  I love this journey!  The transformation isn't always easy or comfortable and the race is LONG, but that's why "the path is narrow, and few will find it" (Matthew 7:13-14).  Don't let the things of this world distract you... keep your eyes on JESUS!

Grace and Peace
Jomo

No comments:

Post a Comment